Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Well Stated!

"First, understand this.  It is impossible to build a successful career defining yourself as only an African American designer.  Yes, I am African American, but I obtain clients of all races.  I'm sure that the designers on the list will agree - beauty and style know no color."
Kimberly Ward


Kimberly of Pink Eggshell presented us with a list of the Top 20 African American Interior Designers. Although all of them are good I grew particularly fond of one of them, Mr. Micheal Boyd of Smith Boyd Interiors. I love it when a man designs! His designs are influenced by the rich French history of New Orleans, living in New York City and extensive European holidays. It sounds good to me!


He is still fairly new to the design industry and definitely new to me. As you can see above, this is why I  love male designers. I love the juxtaposition of masculine and feminine that he graciously injected in to each one of his designs. A great example of this can be seen with the coffered ceiling and striking dark insets and then I love the soft touch of the large transparent pendant fixture hanging below it!


Dark and handsome, like my man! I love this bedroom and again the masculine vs feminine. Boyd is quickly making an impact in the design industry with his "boutique bedrooms." In his bedroom designs he achieves the ultimate hotel suites, therefore creating destinations for his clients.


Now this is what I call the ultimate hotel suite! This is a great inspiration for my boys' room! I love these beds and all the textures and the pop of orange. I also love the addition of the feminine flowers in this masculine room. Check out the rest of his designs, I know you will like him as much as I do!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, friend! Love his work. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all your support. I was trying to friend you on facebook when this post popped up. You are doing an amazing job with your blog. I will be updating my blogroll in the next few weeks. I will definately save a spot for you. Good luck with everything!
    Kimberly of Pinkeggshell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also follow all your favorite designers from the Top20 listo n our facebook page or Check out my about.me profile!

    ReplyDelete